2011-11-01

Halloween and Now it Get's Scary!

As I said earlier this week, last weekend my roommate and I hosted a Halloween party at our apartment.  We spent a significant amount of time last week getting everything ready for the party, and was it a blast!  
Here is how our apartment turned out:
The caution tape on our door read "Come in for a BITE!"
Our apartment was all decked-out in streamers and cobwebs!
Yep, we even decorated the toilet! 

Jessie's adorable scared pumpkin!
And here is all of the food!



Meringue Covered Pumpkin Kisses

Meringue Covered Ghost Kisses (or as Kevin called them, racist kisses)

Cinnamon Apple Chex Mic

Garlic Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

One-Eyed Green Hairy Monsters (close-up picture below)
Oh and the costumes were pretty fun too :)
Kevin is a hobo... who got an education at our rival school.

We love Halloween!

I am a Train Conductor (and my overalls fit perfect!)

Here is a close-up picture of the cupcake... and my hobo

Some friends joined us to Eat, Drink, and be Scary
(as an angry bird, little red riding hood, and a maskless wolf)

Ready for a dance-off?
Ah Halloween is one of my favorite times of the year!  It is a no turning back point for fall, and a great time to stay in and cook.  Halloween has also been, in the past, the start of two months straight of not caring what I eat.  But not this year!  I am determined to keep my "treats" to holi-DAYS not the general season of holidays.  This year holidays will be quite different.  For starters, I will be spending Thanksgiving break with Kevin's family.  This means the temptation of on-the-road travel food, and wanting the traditional Thanksgiving foods.  Luckily, his dad loves help in the kitchen and wants me to make a dish of my own for the celebration.  I'm thinking I will make my Roasted Apples and Parsnips for Thanksgiving dinner.  I will also be making Whole Wheat Pumpkin Bread, from a favorite blog of mine called Cookie and Kate, for them as a thank you for having me to visit for the holiday.  Also, this will be the first Christmas that my parents are nutritarian, so I'm guessing that will mean less goodies and more nutritious food!  I've already been told that in our "stockings" we will be receiving whole raw nuts instead of our usual candy.  I'm so excited!

What is your best strategy for being away from home for the holidays and trying to stay on track? (On a side note: I just got tomatillos from the grocery store because they were on a great sale, but I can't figure out what to do with them.  Any suggestions?)



  

2 comments:

  1. Salsas, Dips, and Soups!

    http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/index.aspx?recipeid=294401

    http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/index.aspx?recipeid=210291

    http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/index.aspx?recipeid=140831

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that Mexican Inspired Vegetable Soup (third link) sounds awesome! I'll have to give that a try next week for sure!

    ReplyDelete