2012-02-13

Sweet Vegetable Curry (with eggplant)

Hope everyones weekend was good.  I know for me, I feel refreshed and ready to take on a much less daunting week than the last.  I took a quick trip to Spokane to get away for a bit and see some friends.  While I was in town, my mom and I got a chance to whip up a couple of great recipes.  Here is one of them, that uses my remaining eggplant from this recipe:

Sweet Vegetable Curry (with Eggplant)

Ingredients:
1 eggplant
1 onion, halved and sliced
2 bell peppers (any colors), cut into large chunks
1 can light coconut milk
1tsp-1T curry paste or powder, to taste
1 t coriander
1 t saffron or tumeric
1 t minced ginger
1/2 t dried basil, or 2 T minced fresh basil
cayenne pepper, to taste
1 can pineapple chunks, reserve juice
1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
cooked rice of choice

Directions:  Peel and slice the eggplant into 1/2 inch slices.  Using a George Forman grill, grill the eggplant slices until tender and slightly seared.  Remove from grill, and let cool.  Cut into one inch slices.


In a large skillet on high heat, saute the onion and peppers until slightly tender.  Next, add in the can of light coconut milk and all spices including the curry and ginger.  Mix until sauce is well combined, bring to a simmer.  Simmer for five minutes, then add the eggplant, pineapple chunks and juice, and garbanzo beans.  Allow to heat thoroughly, then serve on top of rice.

Amy's Notes:  I did not have much eggplant leftover to use in this recipe, so feel free to use as much or as little eggplant as you wish, or eliminate it completely if you don't have any available.  For sauteing the vegetables, I used a misto to coat the pan, then stirred continually.  I made sure not to overcook the vegetables because they added a nice crunch to the finished recipe.  Use as much or as little curry powder/paste as you like.  We used about a Tablespoon of green curry paste, and ours ended up being very spicy, but still delicious. The rice we served it over was called madagascar pink rice.  It had a great chew to it, and the color was beautiful with the yellow-orange curry. 

I know I enjoy spice, and enjoy that it makes me drink more water, how spicy do you like your food to be?  Also, what is the most interesting grain that you've tried lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment