2012-03-17

Plant Strong for St. Patrick's Day!

Hello all!  I am still on my Spring Break road trip with Kevin (pictures and stories to come later), but I promised myself I would write about this awesome Irish inspired dish I tried out last week.  The recipe comes from Dr. Joel Fuhrman's website and is available to members at this link.  Colcannon is a traditional Irish dish that is usually made with mashed potatoes, cabbage, butter, and sometimes herbs, cream, and ham.  In Dr. Furhman's version there are mashed potatoes, kale, onions, and soy milk.  Hope you all enjoy and have a wonderful St. Patrick's Day today!

Colcannon
Ingredients:
4 medium potatoes (8-10 small), wash, peel, and cut into fourths
1 large bunch of kale, stems removed and well chopped
1/3 c plain milk alternative
1 large onion, halved and sliced thinly
(I added garlic powder, parsley, and some fresh ground pepper)

Directions: Prepare all ingredients.  Boil or steam potatoes until tender and mash-able.  Drain and mash with the milk alternative if needed.  Next, steam the kale for 4 minutes with a microwave steamer, or with a stovetop steamer until tender.  In the meantime, while the potatoes and kale are being cooked, water saute the chopped onions for ten minutes, or until browning and tender.  In a large bowl, mix together the mashed potatoes, steamed kale, and sauted onion.  If desired add 1 t of Dr. Fuhrman's VegiZest (I did not use).  Add any seasonings or fresh herbs as desired.  Enjoy, and eat your greens as well as wearing them today!


How are you celebrating St. Patrick's Day this year?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the recipe! For St. Paddy’s day, I am teaching an intro to essential oils class!

    ReplyDelete