2013-05-31

Spinach Melon Green Smoothie


Happy Friday to everyone!  I spent the morning cleaning, the afternoon with my mom going around town, the early evening shopping with Kevin, then a quick workout before my dinner smoothie (see recipe below) and watching the Mariners while relaxing on the couch. First, is my daily log, and stay tuned for my super simple green smoothie recipe after!

Food Log:

  • Breakfast: lots of water
  • Lunch: Ethiopian Vegetarian Combo Split with my mom... (check out the pictures below too!)
    • Veggie Sambussa Appitizer: delicate pastry filled with lentils, onions, and spices
    • Vegetarian Combo: Yatakilt alicha (potatoes, carrots, and cabbage delicately sauteed with onions, garlic, ginger, and tumeric), Yemisher kik we-t (split red lentils cooked in berere sauce), Shiro (ground chickpeas mildly spiced and slow cooked with chopped onions and tomatoes), Yaterkik alicha (yellow split peas cooked with tumeric, garlic, and onions), with a bunch of Injera (spongey fermented flatbread) to dip and scoop
  • Dinner: Spinach Melon Green Smoothie
  • Extras: drinks with my friend in celebration of his grandma's life (she passed away peacefully today)
Exercise Log: Jogged for 20 minutes, abs, squats, stretching

How I felt:  Today was a fun day, and definitely a different food schedule than usual, but in the end, I think I did fairly well.  I didn't get in a true salad, but after my evening workout, I wan't in the mood for making a salad, let alone eating and having one sit heavy in my stomach.  My solution to that... this awesome new smoothie!

Spinach Melon Green Smoothie
Amy's Notes:  Feel free to use whatever melon you prefer for this recipe.  I used cantelope (rock melon) because I needed to use mine up, but I bet honeydew melon would go wonderfully as well!

Ingredients: 
  • 2 huge bunches of spinach
  • 1 cup fresh melon
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 2 dates
  • splash of non-dairy milk to thin
Directions: Place all ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth and creamy.  Add more non-dairy milk to thin to your desired consistency.

Have you ever tried putting melons in a smoothie?  Crazy right!?







2 comments: