2014-10-21

My Meat and Potatoes Husband

Hi All,

I mentioned in my Three Bean Chili post earlier last week that my husband, Kevin, had been enjoying quite a few of the meals made in my new pressure cooker.  For those of you who haven't followed my blog for very long, my husband is not a nutritarian and dislikes vegetables in general.

A few weeks ago, for my work's health care program, we had our weight, blood pressure, cholesterol, and glucose checked.  Thankfully my work pays for all of this and comes into our office to administer the tests.  By doing these health checks, it allows us to earn money back on our health premiums while working towards health goals throughout the year, such as eating more vegetables and exercising.

Kevin hates hates HATES needles, but he came in anyways for the screening.  Happily, I had excellent numbers other than my triglycerides were higher than last year (but that was probably due to spending a weekend drinking in Leavenworth for Oktoberfest just prior to the blood test).  Kevin's numbers, particularly his cholesterol were not ideal.  (For the sake of his privacy I won't say what it is.)

After being married for 2 years, I have all but given up the game of telling him "you should eat better", "what about your arteries", and "should you really be eating that whole pizza?".  All I told him after the health screening was that I was concerned for his health and wished he would take steps to eat better so we can be together for a long and happy life.
This same week I got my pressure cooker in the mail.  I proceeded to make Chickpea Soup Italiano, which, to my surprise, Kevin ate.  Then he requested that I make a jar of chickpeas to send with him to work along with a banana and handful of almonds.

OK!  This is something I can totally get behind!

Over the last week, he has been eating bean soups, plain chickpeas, and quinoa and grain dishes.  He even has had oatmeal with me three times over the weekends as long as it had fruit and nuts in it.  Are there a ton of veggies in all of these things?  No....  But are there animal products and horrible fats, sugars, and preservatives like in his normal diet?  NO!

I'm so excited that he is taking little steps to eat better.  However, he has been on a business trip to Chicago over the last 5 days.  I'm sure he hasn't been eating well like he would have if he was home, but hopefully he is ready to jump back into eating better with me.  Wish us luck!

(Also, don't tell him this, but he liked my homemade vegan caesar salad dressing.  I'm picking him up some lettuce tonight on the way home from work so that I can pack him a salad for tomorrow for his first day back.)

Health and Happiness,

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment