2016-01-19

Example Day #1

Whether you found your way to my blog from searching "Nutritarian", or if a recipe picture caught your eye on some social media (mostly Facebook and Pinterest... I'm trying to get better at Twitter and Instagram, I promise!), if you are new to this way of eating, you might we wondering what a Nutritarian eats day-to-day, so I thought I would give weekly examples of what I eat within a day.

You won't be surprised to hear that I eat a lot of leftovers.  From having a day job and an obsession with knitting in the evenings, I really don't have a ton of time to prep new and exciting meals every day.  I'm preaching to the choir right?

My general strategy is to do most of my food prep for the week on Sundays when it comes to soups, beans, grains, and other main dishes.  Often I make enough to freeze and I almost always have a few containers of soup or chili in the freezer in case I need to grab something and go.

So without further ado, here is a sample day of what I generally eat and drink:

Before I left for work, I poured myself a tumbler of green tea to go.
At work I got a second cup of green tea and had my breakfast.  
Breakfast was 1/2 cup raw rolled oats, cooked in the microwave, 
and topped with raspberries, blackberries, and organic soy milk.


One more cup of tea in the late morning.  
Today I opted for earl grey because it was gloomy and I needed a pick-me-up.


For lunch I had my Beet, Mushroom, and Onion Salad (recipe here
on top of raw spinach and topped with chopped pecans.  
I also had a sliced bell pepper and carrot sticks with hummus 
that was leftover from a work party last week.  Apple to finish off with for dessert.

After lunch I had a full water bottle and took my vitamins (Vitamin D, kelp, B-12).

I had another cup of green tea in the afternoon as I worked.

As I drove home I had one more water bottle.

Dinner was later in the evening around 7 PM and consisted of 
Sassy Sesame Tofu from the new cookbook, Vegan Under Pressure 
(a recipe I will feature next week with a GIVEAWAY!), on top of sauteed spinach.

I had a banana for dessert afterwards.

To summarize according to Dr. Fuhrman's 6-week Nutritarian Plan, I had:

  • 1 lb of raw vegetables in my lunch with spinach, bell peppers, and carrots
  • 1 lb cooked vegetables with my beets for lunch, as well as veggies in the tofu on top of sautéed spinach
  • 4 fresh fruits: 2 at breakfast with raspberries and blackberries, 1 at lunch with an apple, and 1 at dinner with a banana
  • 1+ cup beans/legumes with hummus at lunch and tofu for dinner
  • 1 cup or under of grains with oatmeal for breakfast
  • 1 oz raw nuts/seeds with my pecans on my lunch salad


Health and Happiness,

Amy

1 comment:

  1. Nice job! The veggies aren't usually a problem, but I struggle eating enough fruits unless I have a smoothie.

    ReplyDelete